Odd Squad Scanlations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

+12
BlackHorus
alecute
kayue
Goodknight
evertosword
laserface
xenocross
Vandermillion
Knight
Mojo
Namorax
Vielfras
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] - Page 2 Empty Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  evertosword Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:41 pm

evertosword wrote:Oh I recognize and agree that what you say is true. It's definitively true Vielfras. Lets say you train using a broad sword vs long bow. A few novels managed to point this out.

Which muscles do you train in each? Are they the same muscles?

I messed up the organization. But the ranger's apprentice derails from the trite swordsman or magician hero cliche.
evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Kaladin
Class: Stormfather
Race: Alethi

Back to top Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] - Page 2 Empty Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Vielfras Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:50 am

evertosword wrote:
evertosword wrote:Oh I recognize and agree that what you say is true. It's definitively true Vielfras. Lets say you train using a broad sword vs long bow. A few novels managed to point this out.

I messed up the organization. But the ranger's apprentice derails from the trite swordsman or magician hero cliche.

I still can't understand what your trying to say. I haven't read these chapters yet so maybe that's the reason...

About the release, it doesn't really have a schedule, as ihearts is doing it in he's free time and he has little of it at the moment. I try to update the as soon as he posts a new chapter but I also have some real-life issues that keep me busy. If you see small spelling or grammar mistakes there's nothing to do at the moment as it usually takes about an hour to two to edit every chapter and get rid of them.
However iheartz mentioned that he might start posting directly here, meaning my help won't be needed anymore.

Vielfras
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Vielfras wrote:
evertosword wrote:

I still can't understand what your trying to say. I haven't read these chapters yet so maybe that's the reason...

About the release, it doesn't really have a schedule, as ihearts is doing it in he's free time and he has little of it at the moment. I try to update the as soon as he posts a new chapter but I also have some real-life issues that keep me busy. If you see small spelling or grammar mistakes there's nothing to do at the moment as it usually takes about an hour to two to edit every chapter and get rid of them.
However iheartz mentioned that he might start posting directly here, meaning my help won't be needed anymore.

Sorry I keep making mistakes after mistakes.

First I agreed that using the bow does require a lot of strength especially the long bow. Then I just brought up the point that some fantasy novels do make that point clear. I'm not sure if The Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan tells us this but... Compared to other fantasy books, the main character in the Ranger's Apprentice is not a magician or a swordsman. Then I thought if training with the sword trains different muscles than that of training with the bow. If it does, how does it change what a player can do?
evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Vielfras Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:23 am

Hmm, I'll try to answer what I think you meant.

Sword training muscles:
Honestly, I see no point in making a list as using a sword requires all of a persons muscles.
When you swing a sword, even when it is swung solely with your hands from over your head down to hip level, the body uses all of his muscles to maintain balance.
When combining different swings in to a chain attack the most important thing is the right placement of the legs to keep the swinger from loosing his balance and falling from the swung weight of the sword.

Bow training muscles:
All 17 muscles in each hand.
All 4 muscles in the chest.
Trapezius, and the erector spine group.
The abdominal muscles and the External Oblique.
Basically almost all the upper torso muscles.

The big difference however is what each is looking to get from their training.
While a bowman is looking to train for how long he can shoot arrows the swordsman is looking for power and control of the sword. So although they both train the same muscles the end result is different.
The easiest way to explain would be the red vs white muscle fiber. It is a simplified version of a sprinter vs a marathon runner physical difference.
Red vs white:
Spoiler:

Every muscle has both of these fibers, however the percent of each differs in every individual.

A bowman will have around 90% red fiber and 10% white fiber. Why? Because he has to do a repetitive action that requires little strength for long duration. He will use that 10% white fiber when he has pulled the string as far back as possible and instead of releasing it immediately he has to keep it strung back for a long time before releasing.
Bowmen also rely mostly on tendon elasticity:
Spoiler:

It means that the repetitive motion of pulling the string back is mostly affected by the tendons. These are very hard to train and are usually genetic, the tendons will help the bowman tire much slower and help with minimizing shacking.

A warriors muscle disposition differs by type.
A shield and sword user has less red fiber than a rapier user and much less than a two handed claymore user.
The average warriors muscle will consist of 65-80% white muscle and 35-20% red muscle. While heavy two handed blunt weapon practitioners need around 90% white and 10% red, as they rely on one hit kills.
Unlike a bowman the warriors control of his weapon comes from his strength. The stronger he is the easier it is to control the weapon. Swinging a sword, any kind of sword, is tiring and an average warrior can't fight nonstop longer than 15min.
To compensate for high energy use of sword fighting, the fighters use techniques that lower energy consumption by using the swings momentum to carry the sword to it's next attack. By this they lower the weight resistance and can fight longer. A claymore can't be used without high level momentum controlling technique, and without it that attacks will come to slow and will tire the warrior to fast to survive a battle.

In short, if an archer and a warrior get the basic training of their class the result of their muscle composition will be like this:
Every warrior can use a bow.
Most bowman will not be able to use a sword.

This is the reason for when defending a castle, everyone takes up a bow to shoot from the walls. However while a warrior will be able to shoot 5-8 arrows a min continuously for about 5 minutes, an archer can shoot with deadly accuracy 12-15 arrows a min for almost 10 minutes.
If an archer decides to switch to a sword and dedicates himself to it, he will become a much better and stronger warrior than the average pure warrior. Give an archer a dagger and you have a deadly thief/assassin.

Damn this was long...

Last edited by Vielfras on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Vielfras
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Long but very interesting. Guess I was looking for red muscle and white muscle.
Oh by the way, "Every warrior can use a bow.
Most warriors will not be able to use a sword."....

evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] - Page 2 Empty Why are we talking about Muscles??? We should be talking about spoilers... Sorry If Im rude!

Post  alecute Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:30 pm

evertosword wrote:Long but very interesting. Guess I was looking for red muscle and white muscle.
Oh by the way, "Every warrior can use a bow.
Most warriors will not be able to use a sword."....

alecute
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodknight Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:21 pm

@Ale
It was because one person asked if Pale was a strength based archer and then the whole forum went on a tangent about whether STR based archers actually exist (outside of Yureka) or not.
Oh, by the way, I would put your question in the textbox, not the title, it might confuse some people.

Goodknight
Trainee
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post  alecute Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:28 pm

K thank you!
for the advise im new here so i dont know much about posting! but i always visit this site since first part of Half Prince

alecute
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:16 pm

To all you folks who don't know, iheart updated Very Happy
evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Namorax Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:00 am

Now that the reporter has seen Weed in his "Battle-Mode", do you think he will end up in the news?

PS: I do not believe the Dojo-Master... I bet he just said that to hide the fact he was just a drunkard.
"I did this to test your skills!"... Of course... Wink

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Namorax Carendal
Class: Rune-Smith
Race: Half-Elf

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:23 pm

You can't blame them for using weed as an excuse. I'm sure you would have done the same in the same situation
Wink
evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Namorax Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Using Weed to get Drunk? One sip I would understand. Two would be farfetched. But getting totally wasted? No way. NOT as long as I am in a valley that is rumored to be full of ambushing Dominas.

An experiment:
If you're also eagerly waiting for the next chapter, quote this Spoiler from the last person who posted it. Then add your own Bouncer. I'm the first, so there will be 1 Bouncer.
The next one adds his own Bouncer, so now there will be 2. The next quoter will add his Bouncer then there'll be 3... I hope you get it.^^

If you're desperately waiting for the next chapter add this to the end of your Post:

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodknight Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:19 pm

Of course, the martial artists aren't exactly the most logic or reason oriented players xD. I'm pretty sure they only have pretty much three motivations (one of which that they don't expect to accomplish): 1. To get stronger. 2. To eat. 3. To get girlfriends (lol)

Goodknight
Trainee
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackHorus Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:32 pm

lol, agreed. but they were just wondering how good Weed was though he was on verge of death!

BlackHorus
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: BlackHorus
Class: Luminous XD
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] - Page 2 Empty Where the hell is the new spoilers???

Post  alecute Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:40 am

Its already 3 weeks since the last spoiler thread need more spoilers help! Sad Sad Sad

alecute
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

Post  thi181 Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:40 am

yes need more spoilers i want to know what is going to happen the suspense is killing me

thi181

Back to top Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] - Page 2 Empty Ch.4

Post  kayue Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:09 am

I was waiting for Vielfras to update (since he does such a nice re-editing job) but here's a summary of chapter 4, courtesy of Eowen and Jcafe...

Spoiler:

kayue
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] - Page 2 Empty Thank you for the summary!

Post  alecute Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:09 am

kayue wrote:I was waiting for Vielfras to update (since he does such a nice re-editing job) but here's a summary of chapter 4, courtesy of Eowen and Jcafe...

Spoiler:

alecute
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] - Page 2 Empty Does anyone know about Volume 5 chapter 5??

Post  alecute Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:55 pm

I kinda heard thats its already finished summarizing in Jcafe Is it true?? Very Happy

alecute
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] - Page 2 Empty Volume 5 Chapter 5

Post  Grisia Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:41 pm

iheartz released the first part of vol 5 chap 5. On JCafe it says that he finally finished his tests and will resume releases as per schedule. Seeing that chapter 4 was done by Eowen he moved onto chapter 5. Here it is. However it is only the first part of Chapter 5 and therefore there is probably more that he will release later. As always if you wish to show iheartz your appreciation, +ren him on Jcafe.
Spoiler:
Grisia
Grisia
Reader
Reader

Character sheet
Name: Grisia Crues
Class: Sun Knight
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] - Page 2 Empty Can you tell me about the title of each chapter in volume 5??

Post  alecute Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Grisia wrote:iheartz released the first part of vol 5 chap 5. On JCafe it says that he finally finished his tests and will resume releases as per schedule. Seeing that chapter 4 was done by Eowen he moved onto chapter 5. Here it is. However it is only the first part of Chapter 5 and therefore there is probably more that he will release later. As always if you wish to show iheartz your appreciation, +ren him on Jcafe.
Spoiler:

alecute
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] - Page 2 Empty The chapter titles

Post  Grisia Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Vol 5 Chap 4 - Report
Chap 5 - Town of the Exiles
Chap 6 - Shapeshifter Sculptor
Chap 7 - Enemy my Friend
Chap 8 - Orc Wars
Chap 9 - Hall of Fame
I think that's the chapters for the rest of vol 5, the names of chap 1-3 is on the 1st page.

Last edited by Grisia on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Grisia
Grisia
Reader
Reader

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Namorax Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:48 pm

Why is alecute quoting the previous chapter summary?

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Grisia Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Namorax wrote:Why is alecute quoting the previous chapter summary?
If you look closely the title of his post is asking the titles of each chapter in Vol 5.
Grisia
Grisia
Reader
Reader

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] - Page 2 Empty Rest of Chapter 5

Post  Grisia Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:18 pm

iheartz updated again. The rest of chapter 5. Go thank him and such.
Spoiler:
Grisia
Grisia
Reader
Reader

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next