Odd Squad Scanlations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

+12
BlackHorus
alecute
kayue
Goodknight
evertosword
laserface
xenocross
Vandermillion
Knight
Mojo
Namorax
Vielfras
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] Empty LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Vielfras Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:29 pm

iheartz keeps the chapters coming. He is a blessing to all who are hacking their way through the machine translations. If you have an account on Jcafe be sure to thank him and +ran him.
I have yet to edit the last chapters of volume 4 so it will be some time before I get to this. iheartz leaves me little to do but still I have very little free time this month so I won't be getting round to this until he end of the month.

Chapter 1: The Tomb of the Great King

Spoiler:

Chapter 2: The Pyramid and the Dignity of the King
Spoiler:

Chapter 3: Strength of a Craftsman (can maybe also mean creator/sculptor/constructor?)

Spoiler:

Sorry for the slow update, even to post this I had to do it secretly so the officers don't find out. The terrorist attack in Turkey is causing me quite a huge headache for me...

Last edited by Vielfras on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:25 am; edited 4 times in total

Vielfras
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] Empty Re: LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler]

Post  Namorax Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Awww... how sweet^^

But somehow the image of a reporter-ranger is a little bit silly to me. She can travel the lands, avoid monsters and use her reputation to get interview with persons of interest.
but if it makes her day? At least she can say that she's doing her job and not just playing around.

Btw, is Pale really a strong archer? The type of User who uses bows that require more strength then usual and compensates his lack of agility/dexterty with his own aiming?

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Namorax Carendal
Class: Rune-Smith
Race: Half-Elf

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Thank you very much

BTW I think the saying goes "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" see it rhymes? Very Happy

I love Weed being all Tom Sawyer (I.E. the fence white washing incident) on those people, "Sure I'll share my quest, Muahaha!!"

Mojo
Reader
Reader

Character sheet
Name: Tampopo
Class: Mage
Race: Wood Elf

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:36 am

Yet another Awesome Summary by iheartz =D
A special thanks to Vielfras for posting and editing =D Very Happy
Knight
Knight
Reader
Reader

Character sheet
Name: Knight
Class: Holy Knight
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

LMS - Volume 5 Summary [spoiler] Empty @namorax

Post  Vandermillion Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:51 am

@namorax

I don't think that Pale is a strength-archer as the passage said "May notes that the sweat was flowing from the Archer’s brow, and that he was struggling to hold up the stone". Think he was trying to be manly/chivalrous/obnoxious (depends on whose perspective). Would be nice if he was a strong archer, though I believe that strength is for crossbows which I have yet to find Pale using at any point of the novel (mind you machine-translations are hard as heck to read).

Vandermillion

Back to top Go down

Post  xenocross Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:49 am

Namorax wrote:

But somehow the image of a reporter-ranger is a little bit silly to me. She can travel the lands, avoid monsters and use her reputation to get interview with persons of interest.

Not really
She hides the fact that she is Sinhye Min, the famous broadcaster. She only reveal it to Pale and party, and Weed of course. She dream of being adventurer, and that is unrelated on her job

I remember reading that she want to get a leave so she can focus on the game LOL Laughing

xenocross

Back to top Go down

Post  Namorax Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Isn't she also the "contact" for her... what is it? Tv-sender, magazine, newspaper? Anyway, she created her character in this "backwater" kingdom so her workplace would have someone in place should anything at all happen. But she went ahead and took a few days off, isnt that kinda ironic?

She goes and takes some days off, just to share Weeds Tomb-Quest and at the same day, her chief wants to ask her to make a report on exactly that. If she had waited she would be paid to play! Very Happy

I guess that means Pale is also some "normal" archer, but I thought that maybe after seeing Weed he would start thinking outside the box. I mean, Weed is a Sculptor, a class thats almost famous for being weak and unwanted. And he could still own everyone Pale knows.
But if you're honest... no matter how strong you are, carrying such a block of stone by yourself isnt something anyone can do by himself.

BTW, is it mentioned how old Sinhye Min/Pale is?

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  laserface Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:26 pm

Namorex, Pale is in college and (I think) still living with his parents. The same with the rest of his party. As for Sin Mie... that's not clear, but she is a reporter for a big time news channel so she should be out of college. I'd estimate Pale is 19-21 years old and Sin Mie is 25-28 years old.
laserface
laserface

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:05 pm

Namorax wrote:Btw, is Pale really a strong archer? The type of User who uses bows that require more strength then usual and compensates his lack of agility/dexterty with his own aiming?

Do you remember how in one of the earlier volumes Weed asked Pale & Co. to take care of the 505 sword master/disciples? When I read the machine translation, I think that in addition to providing bread, Pale & Co. also trained on the wooden dummies along with them.

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:16 pm

fg109 wrote:
Namorax wrote:Btw, is Pale really a strong archer? The type of User who uses bows that require more strength then usual and compensates his lack of agility/dexterty with his own aiming?

Do you remember how in one of the earlier volumes Weed asked Pale & Co. to take care of the 505 sword master/disciples? When I read the machine translation, I think that in addition to providing bread, Pale & Co. also trained on the wooden dummies along with them.

I don't remember that happening in the official volume 1 translation. Pale & Co. did train with Weed on wolves and whatnot.
evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Kaladin
Class: Stormfather
Race: Alethi

Back to top Go down

Post  Namorax Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Thats because the 505 Dojo disciples went there after volume 1 (dont remember when exactly...). Check out the spoiler summaries for the other volumes and you will see that Pale&Friends were asked by Weed to take care of them.

Thats what fg109 meant. Of course Pale didnt train on the Scarecrow in Volume 1, thats correct.^^

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodknight Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:20 pm

laserface wrote:Namorex, Pale is in college and (I think) still living with his parents. The same with the rest of his party. As for Sin Mie... that's not clear, but she is a reporter for a big time news channel so she should be out of college. I'd estimate Pale is 19-21 years old and Sin Mie is 25-28 years old.

I think Pale and his friends were living away from his parents (which was why he and his friends got away with playing so much). However, because of some reason or another (his parent's visited/got called by the professors?), his parents found out that Pale & Co were blowing off their college time (aka money) on video games, they got mad. And as for the news reporters, she might be around Pale's age to, seeing as she might have been hired before going to college because she was young, female, talkative, likable, and played Royal Road (so she actually understands and is interested in what she's talking about). But who knows?

fg109 wrote:

Does Pale have the time to train that much? Since all of the martial artists don't have any other jobs or anything (I think). They just earn their money from scholarships and championship money. Pale, on the other hand, has to go to college, do homework, etc. Also, I know that Pale watched the disciples hitting the scarecrows, but I don't think he actually participated/participated to a large extent. And lastly, the +45 strength that is gained from training on scarecrows can easily be gained by eating some foods/being buffed/equipping items, or just level up 9 lvls, etc. So, the only reason why training pays off is that a person can rely on it for the rest of their game. So, Pale would probably need a huge strength stat much higher than hitting scarecrows can provide to be a "strength" archer. Lastly, I don't think that strength affects bow damage. I vaguely remember seeing that some bows have a strength requirement to use, but if Royal Road is like real life, then it doesn't matter how strong you are, as long as you can pull the bow back all the way. Therefore the amount of damage you can do with the bow demands on how finely you can control your body, aka dexterity/agility. Also, if its based off most RPG games, then agility/dexterity affects the bow damage, not strength.

Goodknight
Trainee
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post  Namorax Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:34 pm

If you need more strength to pull a bow, the arrows it shoots hit a lot harder. I cant really explain the theory behind it but thats the gist.
If an archer had godly strength, he could use a ballista as bow, and everyone knows that a ballista hits harder/deadlier then a normal shortbow.

At least thats my theory behind "strength"-archers. There's one in Yureka the guy's called Olio or something. Uses a giant bow most warriors cant use (apparently).

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Namorax wrote:Thats because the 505 Dojo disciples went there after volume 1 (dont remember when exactly...). Check out the spoiler summaries for the other volumes and you will see that Pale&Friends were asked by Weed to take care of them.

Thats what fg109 meant. Of course Pale didnt train on the Scarecrow in Volume 1, thats correct.^^

WHooops thats right.

Namorax wrote:If you need more strength to pull a bow, the arrows it shoots hit a lot harder. I cant really explain the theory behind it but thats the gist.
If an archer had godly strength, he could use a ballista as bow, and everyone knows that a ballista hits harder/deadlier then a normal shortbow.

At least thats my theory behind "strength"-archers. There's one in Yureka the guy's called Olio or something. Uses a giant bow most warriors cant use (apparently).

dex·ter·i·ty/dekˈsteritē/
Noun: Skill in performing tasks, esp. with the hands

I would prefer dexterity archers with a bit of arm strength to pull bows. I'm not really sure. You'll have to clarify a bit more on your theory. What kind of strength are you talking about? How would this help. It feels pointless to shoot a ballista on a deer 20 meters away. Not even sure if you can do it.

iheartz updated his post Very Happy This is a linky linky Btw you need a jcafe account. While you're there go thank him Very Happy Very Happy

iheartz wrote:Note: I haven't found where chapter 2 ends yet, seeing as there's the whole "lack of a table of contents" thing, so I might just cut it off at a certain point.
Chapter 2 (75%?)
(click to show/hide)

Sorry it took so long, what I originally thought was a 2 hour project turned out to be a 16 hour "you have got to be f*cking me" project. Building a catapult was my childhood dream, but in my childhood, I had something called time. Oh yeah, and I didn't have to make it for a grade either. Going to a construction party should have made things easier too, except for the fact that we only had 1 drill, one hand-saw, and one electric saw....between five people and five catapults. I kinda hate my professor right now. Ok, rant/explanation over, expect the rest of chp 2 in a couple of days I guess?
evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodknight Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:21 pm

Namorax wrote:If you need more strength to pull a bow, the arrows it shoots hit a lot harder. I cant really explain the theory behind it but thats the gist.

Once you pull the string past the maximum draw length, it would snap. So once you're past a certain point, your strength will be useless. The reason why it is a lot harder to pull back a ballista is because steel string can hold a lot more energy than string/gut/whatever normal bowstrings are made out of. If the STR archer was using a steel string (or something similar) then yes, he would do a lot more damage. But, assuming that bowstrings in Royal Road are like those in real life, then STR based archers wouldn't be able to increase the pull once it reaches a certain point (the distance from the body to your body, so about an arm's length?)

Goodknight
Trainee
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:56 pm

When I was thinking ballista I don't think the strength required is arm strength. It doesn't seem like these ballistas would be able to rapid fire. I'm half sure a person doesn't need to be steroid strong to operate a ballista. But as for carrying one, I doubt they are meant to be carried.

Can anyone clarify?
evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodknight Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:06 pm

evertosword wrote:When I was thinking ballista I don't think the strength required is arm strength. It doesn't seem like these ballistas would be able to rapid fire. I'm half sure a person doesn't need to be steroid strong to operate a ballista. But as for carrying one, I doubt they are meant to be carried.

Can anyone clarify?

Ballista's are definitely not meant to be pulled by hand. They are siege weapons capable of launching a 1 meter metal shaft 500 yards away. The Ballista's miniature cousin, the Crossbow, had to be reloaded by somebody stepping on the bow with their feet, and then pulling the steel string up with two hands. Google up cocking crossbow for a visual demonstration. Of course, the fact that metal crossbows (basically, most crossbows) are usually 150+ pounds doesn't help.

Goodknight
Trainee
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojo Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:43 am

Goodknight wrote:

Ballista's are definitely not meant to be pulled by hand. They are siege weapons capable of launching a 1 meter metal shaft 500 yards away. The Ballista's miniature cousin, the Crossbow, had to be reloaded by somebody stepping on the bow with their feet, and then pulling the steel string up with two hands. Google up cocking crossbow for a visual demonstration. Of course, the fact that metal crossbows (basically, most crossbows) are usually 150+ pounds doesn't help.

While there were crossbows with a windlass foot cocking device, there were smaller ones that could be cocked by hand or with the aid of a cranked rack-and-pinion device called a cranequin. Others were made of a combination of wood and brass and were quite light weight compared to 150 lbs, look at the cross bows of the ancient Greeks. Now when I think of a foot drawn "crossbow" I always think of an arbalest, but now I'm quibbling about semantics, right?

Mojo
Reader
Reader

Character sheet
Name: Tampopo
Class: Mage
Race: Wood Elf

Back to top Go down

Post  Vielfras Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:03 am

I haven't read this volume yet so I don't know what Pale does or uses, but in the topic of str bowman I can say a couple of words.

Strength bowman are not only a myth in MMORPG's but a real life phenomenon. Unlike what most people think, using a bow requires more than just dexterity and accuracy, it requires strength. Even the smallest and simplest bow would be impossible to use for a small child, for the sole reason that he lacks the strength to pull the string back far enough for the bow to be affective.
As bows vary in style, size and material the strength required to pull the string to its maximum efficiency differs.

A part from Wikipedia on bows, regarding the need for strength:
Spoiler:

In MMORPG's you will notice that except for unique bows, every common bow comes with a limit of Dex and Str.
For example, to use a shop bought bow the player needs 20 Str and 75 Dex.

However there are unique bows that require only a very high amount of dexterity or an absurd amount of strength most normal bowman will never have.
To use this unique strength bows the archer has to invest a lot of stat points in strength, as a result he will be much weaker than other archers of his level unless he uses special strength bows.
However unlike ordinary bows, strength bows attack is much higher and shoots the arrow farther than regular bows.
In normal MMORPG's Str archers have a lot of problem with accuracy. Since accuracy is determined by the Dex stat strength archer need to find Acc from equipment they wear.

It is an entirely different matter in VRMMORPG's. In virtual reality games, even if a player has terrible aim it can be compensated by the Dex stat, so that when he shoots the A.I helps him with the aim.
So what happens if a championship winning real-life marksmen plays the game? He has no need for the A.I's help and can aim by himself. So in this case instead of raising the Dex stat he can put more points in the Str stat and use higher attack bows, compensating for his lack of accuracy by his own aiming prowess.
A strength archer can take a freakishly huge bow, a bow that even knights and warriors will have a hard time firing it let alone hitting anything, and use it well. Strength Archers are rare as it requires not only dedication and finding the right bow but more than anything talent and good hand to eye coordination

It was mentioned before that in the manga "Yureka"("Id_entity") a guy who is one of the top players in a VR shooting game (where the only thing that matters is your personal aiming skills) when playing "Lost Saga"( the equivalent of "Royal Road") he plays a strength archer.
If you read the Demon Lord arc (Volume 11), in chapter 68 I believe, this strength archer uses a bow bigger than himself with arrows the size of spears!!!
If you haven't read Yureka, read it! Especially if you like LMS.

Vielfras
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Namorax Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:14 am

Thanks for the explanation vielfras. This is what I basically meant to say wehn I meant strength-Archer.

@Goodknight: Of course the bow would snap if you pull it past a certain point. But the more strength you require to reach this specific point, the more force is behind the arrows you shoot ->thus you can deal more damage.

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  kayue Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:19 am

@Namorex
Thanks for the video link. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Cool Every gamer has felt that way sometime.

kayue
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Oh I recognize and agree that what you say is true. It's definitively true Vielfras. Lets say you train using a broad sword vs long bow. A few novels managed to point this out.

Which muscles do you train in each? Are they the same muscles?
evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Vielfras Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:14 am

evertosword wrote:Oh I recognize and agree that what you say is true. It's definitively true Vielfras. Lets say you train using a broad sword vs long bow. A few novels managed to point this out.

Which muscles do you train in each? Are they the same muscles?

Pardon me, but could you repeat the question please? Didn't quite understand what you meant by sword vs bow and the novels remark...

About the muscles that are used. Some of them are the same, but to use a sword requires more muscles than when shooting a bow.
I don't mind listing the muscles used for each action, but I'd like to be sure of what you meant first.

Vielfras
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Namorax Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:29 pm

Hmm I dont mind listing a few muscles, but what would be the point exactly?

As far as I know, Archery is more Hand-Eye-Coordination then aynthing else. You just have to hit your target, and damage is calculated from distance, power of the bow the strength behind the arrow and where you hit. In Swordfights you try to use every muscle in your body to put as much force/weight in your blows as possible without leaving yourself open. the equipment here is secondary: if you got a sharp sword, good for you. If your sword is blunt (as in "not sharp") you can still use it as a club. I'm honestly at a loss to decide if I would rather fight against an agile Swordsan with an exceptionally razor-sharp sword (or two), or against a muscleclad powerhouse with a blunted two-hander...

Btw: any chance the next chapter is done?^^

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodknight Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Idk what you mean, but Chapter 2 is already finished now, Vielfras just didn't remove the "75%" thing yet. As for the next chapter, well releases are usually weekly but who knows?

The title is "Chapter 3: Strength of a Craftsman." Vielfras is probably just updating them by each chapter, whereas the posts on Jcafe include the name of the next chapter in the current editation.
The original summarization on jcafe:

"well. However, because of the sheer size of the Pyramid, it was still not complete. In addition, it was increasingly difficult to build the higher levels, seeing as it was hard to lift the stone that high. Therefore, the stone had to be lifted up a temporary slope made of dirt and sand, slowly carried up to the top.

Chapter 3: Strength of a Craftsman (may also mean creator/sculptor/constructor?)"

Last edited by Goodknight on Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Goodknight
Trainee
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next