Odd Squad Scanlations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LMS Latest Chapter Discussion + Error reporting

+8
langdu2002
SmokenAce
Lareyn
Namorax
Vielfras
Blique
evertosword
noobzilla
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LMS Latest Chapter Discussion + Error reporting Empty LMS Latest Chapter Discussion + Error reporting

Post  noobzilla Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi people, use this thread to discuss the latest chapter, since i'll be disabling comments because of people posting spoilers.
(after c13) here.

Last edited by noobzilla on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
noobzilla
noobzilla
Admin

Character sheet
Name: Jung
Class: Very High.
Race: Human

https://oddsquad.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

LMS Latest Chapter Discussion + Error reporting Empty Re: LMS Latest Chapter Discussion + Error reporting

Post  evertosword Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:12 pm

I want to share my thanks to all the translators and proofreaders who bring us this project. Uhh...
Thank you very much. Bows*

Thank you for Chapter 14*!!!

Pst* I would love to see the unedited translated piece. Why? I want to see if I can catch the same mistakes as you did.
evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Kaladin
Class: Stormfather
Race: Alethi

Back to top Go down

LMS Latest Chapter Discussion + Error reporting Empty Re: LMS Latest Chapter Discussion + Error reporting

Post  Blique Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:27 am

evertosword wrote:Pst* I would love to see the unedited translated piece. Why? I want to see if I can catch the same mistakes as you did.
Hmm, the problem is, the editing process involves not only catching grammatical and such errors, but also discussing the original text and deciding on how to translate it best. Both of these take place at the same time, not to mention, the unedited version is often like a rough draft, with lots of errors and translator notes everywhere. So even if we give you the unedited version, it'll be so different from the final version that catching mistakes and comparing would be near pointless.

However, if you're interested in trying because you want to be a proofer for OSS, you can send in an application form. You'll get an unedited translation as your test, and you can get feedback when you're done.
Blique
Blique
Expert
Expert

Character sheet
Name: For Healing Only
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Vielfras Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:31 am

Thank you for all your hard work. You did a great job with the translation.
About the black title for weapons, this is the part in the google translation that caused the misunderstanding:

Black and durable, and more often suffer broken apart
Keep up to more durable, long the state were withheld.

These two sentences caused a bunch of people to think that items in Royal Road have a black status. And an item with said status will have it's durability decrease much faster than normal. But for Weed who wanted to train the repair skill, these items were something he would gladly use even if others would throw them away.

This is how you guys translated it:
In addition, the maximum durability of the sword would decrease little by little if the sword breaks and remains in an unrepaired state.

I have to say though, that it's a shame there is no such thing as a black status for items, as this was something I really liked. It made Royal Road even more realistic than it already is.
Also, this makes me wonder how many other misunderstandings were made and are now taken as fact in the Jcafe thread (where all the spoilers are at).

Vielfras
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  noobzilla Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:18 am

There was this anime i used to watch when i was 10 or something, and it showed in Japanese with no subs... i watched just cuz the art was pretty. And i interpreted the story to be pretty awesome... then i watched it all in subbed and realised how retarded and cliche the whole thing turned out to be ><

Well... i guess my case is rly extreme~ i can see why you are disappointed though. There might be tons more misunderstandings in the future since you have used google docs... which for some sentences make absolutely no sense.
noobzilla
noobzilla
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  noobzilla Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Clarification about Durability
The sword does not lose maximum durability when it is only low on durability.

Only when you let the sword go to 0 durability, i.e. break it. Will the maximum durability decrease.

E.g. a sword has durability 20/20. When I use the sword for a while it goes down to 5/20. Then further use breaks it: 0/20 durability. But the sword is still reparable, except the durability shows like this 0/19 .... and if i leave it unrepaired for a while its 0/18 0/17 and so on. So if i was quick I could repair the sword when it broke and get it to 19/19 durability. But i can never get maximum i.e 20/20 ever again.
noobzilla
noobzilla
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Namorax Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:10 pm

That... sounds a lot like food that went past its expiration date. But if the author decided to phrase it that way, what can we do?
(This concept is an awful idea to be honest, and I think whoever thought it up deserves some bad, bad, luck coming his way Razz)

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Namorax Carendal
Class: Rune-Smith
Race: Half-Elf

Back to top Go down

Post  noobzilla Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:53 pm

Yeh they're just trying to get people to buy items from stores at full price because they don't have this disadvantage.
noobzilla
noobzilla
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Vielfras Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:28 am

noobzilla wrote:Yeh they're just trying to get people to buy items from stores at full price because they don't have this disadvantage.

What do you mean?
Store bought items will suffer from the same problem off durability loss, or is it different for store bought items?

Vielfras
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  noobzilla Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:46 am

Nope the store bought items suffer durability loss. But the maximum durability will never decrease even if you break the sword. It will remain at 0/20.... then you can repair it again to 20/20.
noobzilla
noobzilla
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Namorax Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:25 pm

noobzilla wrote:Yeh they're just trying to get people to buy items from stores at full price because they don't have this disadvantage.

Ok, I definitely need to re-read Vol1 and check if there's any mention of Durability and Repair.
Because somehow, this doesnt make any sense to me. I'll return after finding some passages to support my theory.

BTW: Doesnt the chapter mean:
Items from Store->get with 100% Durability
Items from dead Monster->get with Random amount of Durability (between 5%-95%)?

Namorax
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Namorax Carendal
Class: Rune-Smith
Race: Half-Elf

Back to top Go down

Post  noobzilla Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:23 pm

Of course, compared to a Clay Sword purchased at a store, the item drop was much lower in durability. In addition, the maximum durability of the sword would decrease little by little if the sword breaks and remains in an unrepaired state.

Yes the Skeleton was using the sword so the durability was 12/65. But the store one is new and has higher maximum durability 90/90.

The item drop can be repaired to be 65/65. But if weed had broken it [0/65] during the Skeleton knight fight, then the max durability would have dropped, basically lowering the swords lifespan. I don't get why this is so hard to understand <.< pretty straight forward to me.
noobzilla
noobzilla
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Vielfras Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:19 am

It's easy to understand, but at the same time it is illogical.
Why would a store bought item never have it's max durability decreased? If it has 0 durability even a store bought item, in my opinion at least, should have it's max durability decrease.
If not so, then a player a would never bother repairing his store bought items. Even if his sword has 0 durability, he doesn't care as he can still continue using it without fear of it's power degrading...

Vielfras
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Lareyn Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:54 pm

According to my gaming experience once your items durability hits 0 you will not gain any more stats from it.
What I understand from Royal Road's system, you'll lose the item completely when the max durability hits 0 as well.
Lareyn
Lareyn
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

Post  noobzilla Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:59 pm

0 durability means the item will break. i.e. unusable. How would you fight with a sword in two pieces or your armor torn off?

The store bought item has a similar concept to all the mmorpgs out there. You have a certain amount of durability and if you forget to repair your item and use it for too long it will be unusable unless you repair again. [no one wants their favorite sword going out of order in the middle of a fight <.<]

In LMS they added the penalty for dropped items --> if you forget to repair your item and let it break, your maximum possible durability decreases. At one point you'll have no durability to repair at all! imagine if your weapon's max durability gets to 5. Then no matter what you try the durability will be 5/5 meaning 1 hit breaks the item.
noobzilla
noobzilla
Admin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  SmokenAce Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:43 pm

You guys are amazing, thanks for the release!

But there is something that has me confused: During the fight with the skeleton knight, when Weed uses the sword kaiser skill he did not have enough mana so he had to use his hp as part of the cost for the skill. If the needed amount was 2000 and Weed had already been fighting before, just how much hp does Weed have to be able to use that skill half way through a fight? And also, do we get to see Weed's stats in volume 2 to see how much stronger he has become?

SmokenAce
SmokenAce

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Blique Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:32 am

Not sure, the last time the stat window came up was chapter 6, dozens and dozens of levels ago.

Weed said that he didn't have enough mana to pull off a single skill, and since his weakest skill takes 300, that means he had less than 300 MP. Umm, so in order to have "less than 50 HP" remaining after using Sword Kaiser, he had to have had 1652 to 1999 HP at the time he attacked the Skeleton Knight.

However, remember that Weed used Sword Kaiser right after Irene announced that she had run out of mana. Considering this, that means she had just healed them. How much she healed isn't specified, so we can only estimate that Weed's total amount of HP is greater than or equal to 1652.

This is assuming the math skills I've not used for years haven't failed me. And yeah, his stats will come up again sometime in volume 2. =)
Blique
Blique
Expert
Expert

Character sheet
Name: For Healing Only
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  langdu2002 Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:32 am

in chapter 8 u can see it his hp at lv 68 was 3460, so when fighting the Skeleton knight he prob has alot more

langdu2002

Back to top Go down

Post  SmokenAce Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks for the replies you guys. After looking at the last stat window now i see that Weed has quite a lot of hp, more than I though he had.
SmokenAce
SmokenAce

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:33 pm

I just read the proofreader registration form.
Exclamation It makes me more amazed, more grateful, more understanding about what you guys do for us!!!
Once more, I'll say this: Thank you very much for chapter 14.

I would very much love to help but... I don't think I will be able to help for 4 hrs every day!!!

evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  SmokenAce Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Something about chapter 14 that has me a little bit confused is the part where Weed and his teammates kill the skeleton knight. According to the bonus of being the first to ever enter the dungeon, each type of monster that they killed for the first time would drop their best item drop on that kill. But, when Weed kills the skeleton knight the drops are cheap items that don't compare to what the first group of enemies dropped.

So, does this mean that the skeleton knights don't drop anything rare or valuable or what?
SmokenAce
SmokenAce

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodknight Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:24 pm

Well, the google translated stuff said that it was the first monster killed in the dungeon that dropped an extra rare item, not the first monster type. And the later actions of Weed seem to reinforce this idea (such as avoiding all of the weak mobs and going after the boss/near boss enemies first).

Goodknight
Trainee
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post  SmokenAce Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Well, that could probably explain what happened but if we look at their first fight, they received 3 rare items from the first enemies, the sword from the soldier, the gloves from the archer, and the boots from the mages (i think) so in this case it wasn't the first monster but the first of each type (mage, archer, soldier) that dropped rare items.
SmokenAce
SmokenAce

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Hello I'm just wondering if you're making progress. And if you need any help etc. I can help out, depending on what it is.
evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Naeko Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:46 pm

LMS Latest Chapter Discussion + Error reporting Icon_cat After a chapter is officially released, could you then copy it to a wiki for other people to continue "improving" on it? That is, correcting any typographical errors or grammar? The first volume has a number of typographical and grammatical errors or missing words needed to complete the sentence. By putting it on a wiki, the Odd Squad staff will not have to spend time or trouble keeping track and merging changes because the wiki software will do that and show changes. It also keeps users from editing at the same time since wiki software typically gives a warning if someone else is already editing (at least Baka-Tsuki / Wikipedia do). Every now and then, the wiki version could then be copied over to be the new official updated release of that chapter.

LMS Latest Chapter Discussion + Error reporting Icon_cat Another approach is to create a wiki where intermediate translations are posted for additional editing by all staff members. I don't know if this is already the method you use, but it would allow for anyone on staff to look over the existing status and make additional changes without upsetting anyone else's editing because the wiki software would warn if someone else was already editing. Another benefit might be that you could get the translation mostly done and then let the part time new volunteer staff edit and polish the text towards final release. This would let the core staff go and work on the translation problems for the next chapter. Since the wiki also keeps track of how much change effort the new volunteers do, it also lets you see which volunteers are active and which ones just volunteered only to get an early look at translations without doing any real work. Maybe this approach would also yield a net decrease in anxiety or pressure on the staff members too.
Naeko
Naeko
Reader
Reader

Character sheet
Name: Naeko
Class: Soul Linker

http://playragnarok.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next