Odd Squad Scanlations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books - What do you read?

+7
Aoi
rebwaters
Invictus
Blique
kes137
Jnee
Oishii
11 posters

Go down

Books - What do you read? Empty Books - What do you read?

Post  Oishii Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:07 pm

I'm tired of looking at the Twilight topic so lets just talk about what we like to read ^^

I just finished reading the Hunger Games trilogy for the second time. Suzanne Collins has become my favorite author. She wrote another series called Gregor the Overlander that is good, but nothing compares with the Hunger Games. If you haven't read, you should! It's an epic series.

Some other books I really love are Harry Potter (of course XD), Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Jones (book is way better than the movie), and anything on mythology, especially Egyptian and native american beliefs. Recently I've been looking up stuff on Guarani mythology since I grew up hearing those stories, but I can't find that much about it Sad

I would love to hear what you guys have read. I'm always looking for more books to read ^^
Oishii
Oishii
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

Books - What do you read? Empty Re: Books - What do you read?

Post  Jnee Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Oishii wrote:I'm tired of looking at the Twilight topic so lets just talk about what we like to read ^^

I just finished reading the Hunger Games trilogy for the second time. Suzanne Collins has become my favorite author. She wrote another series called Gregor the Overlander that is good, but nothing compares with the Hunger Games. If you haven't read, you should! It's an epic series.

Some other books I really love are Harry Potter (of course XD), Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Jones (book is way better than the movie), and anything on mythology, especially Egyptian and native american beliefs. Recently I've been looking up stuff on Guarani mythology since I grew up hearing those stories, but I can't find that much about it Sad

I would love to hear what you guys have read. I'm always looking for more books to read ^^

OMG There's the third book already!! I need to get it O_O I've only gotten as far as Catching Fire.
I've also read Harry Potter~ (got it for my birthday some time ago), all those books by Sophie Kinsella (The shopaholic series and her one-offs, though i do get sick of becky sometimes. she's such a ditzy airhead), Darren Shan's Vampire Trilogy and The Demonata, Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle (Eragon and such and such), almost all books by Sydney Sheldon (Man the guy is a genius)....

I also read some (on the side) Danielle Steele, but not much, since she's a little drab when it comes to writing and it's always sappy romance stories.

And I'm still working my way through the Night Angel Trilogy (can't remember the author's name), but it's taking forever cos it's such heavy reading for me. Craploads of new and foreign names, and big big big words.... @_@ Tis not modern day, simple vernacular, peoples! I've re-read the first 200 pages three times over and still... it doesn't strike me as OMGIWANNACONTINUEREADING... But it's pretty well written... Just not very light reading to go through as a person who doesn't have that wide a vocabulary~ D:
Especially since there are so many medieval english terms.

That being said, once I start a book, I feel obligated to finish it. So.. meh. I'm sure I've read more but I can't remember off the top of my head... Hmm...

What about everyone else? Very Happy Share your thoughts on the books, perhaps?
Jnee
Jnee
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Wicked (邪靈)
Class:
Race:

https://profile.facebook.com/jnchew

Back to top Go down

Post  kes137 Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Omigosh, I love reading. Let's see I've read-
Harry Potter (of coarse!), Darren Shan (called Cirque du Freak series where I'm from), the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon), Hunger Games (so amazing!), Alex Rider series, Vladmire Tod series, Twilight (the books were ok, but I really hate the series now), House of Night series, Dexter series, Uglies series (really good), Tiger's series (kind of new. First is called Tiger's Curse. Read it!), Series of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (The Alchemyst, The Magician, The Sorceress...), Percy Jackson/ The Lost Olympian /and The Kane Chonicals (first two listed are amazing, the other one not so much), and oh so many more books than I can remember! lol
kes137
kes137
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Blique Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:45 am

I very much like the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini~ A long time favorite of mine is The Goblin Wood series by Hilari Bell. Other than those...I don't read many novels. ^^;;
Blique
Blique
Expert
Expert

Character sheet
Name: For Healing Only
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Oishii Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:08 pm

kes137 wrote:Omigosh, I love reading. Let's see I've read-
Harry Potter (of coarse!), Darren Shan (called Cirque du Freak series where I'm from), the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon), Hunger Games (so amazing!), Alex Rider series, Vladmire Tod series, Twilight (the books were ok, but I really hate the series now), House of Night series, Dexter series, Uglies series (really good), Tiger's series (kind of new. First is called Tiger's Curse. Read it!), Series of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (The Alchemyst, The Magician, The Sorceress...), Percy Jackson/ The Lost Olympian /and The Kane Chonicals (first two listed are amazing, the other one not so much), and oh so many more books than I can remember! lol

I've read some of those. I own the Nicholas Flamel series but I haven't gotten around to reading them. I've read the books by Rick Riordan. I liked his books with Greek mythology but was greatly disappointed by the one with Egyptian mythology. I know those legends inside and out and I did not like how he twisted them to fit his story. It kind of worries me since I don't know Greek mythology that well so I have no idea how accurate he was... >.>

I've never read the Eragon books even though I've seen them a lot. I'm starting to think I should since everyone seems to like them ^^
Oishii
Oishii
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

Post  kes137 Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:22 pm

The Eragon books are very good, and I can't wait for the new one (if it ever comes out! lol). You should definatly read them Smile
I love Greek mythology so Riordan's books on those were great. I was disappointed with the Egyptian one because I felt it was trying to hard to be the Egyptian Percy Jackson instead of a new series. But I still like it Wink
You should read the Nicholas Flamel series when you have the time. All of the characters (other than the twin's and thier family) were real people and/or legends. It's a bit slow but a good story. Haha, one of the characters in the 2nd book is Niccolo Machiavelli and he's also in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, so I was geeking out when I saw his name. lol
kes137
kes137
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Invictus Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:21 am

Anything by R.A. Salvatore is a great read, though I suggest starting at the beginning.

Invictus

Character sheet
Name: Invictus
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  rebwaters Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:26 pm

There's this time when I get myself into reading novels and then into manga and then into games or just loofing around, but when I do read I read lots of genres but of course I dun miss the staples... I've read the whole Harry Potter series and I liked it, read stuff by latinamericans since I'm one, whoever reach my hands, and well I do praise and love so much anything by Stephen King... Me is a suspense/horror nut... hehehe

Signs,
Green

rebwaters
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Nan Gong Zui
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  Aoi Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:29 am

Nice thread~~

I love Harry Potter (duh... seriously... it must be a crime not to like Harry Potter in this world we're currently living in)
I also love classic literature!!~
I absolutely love all Jane Austin's works : )
Oh! Sherlock Holmes is epic ...
LOTR is a must read
hmm... what else
All of Charles Dickens
Series of Unfortunate Events!!! Oh i love the series!!
Narnia...

Can't think of anymore atm Razz
Aoi
Aoi
Reader
Reader

Character sheet
Name: Marine
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:43 am

I've read some of the author's books posted above.

I love this one though -> The Way of The Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name: Kaladin
Class: Stormfather
Race: Alethi

Back to top Go down

Post  Vielfras Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:47 pm

I just love topics like this, I always seem to discover new and interesting books to read in them.
I'll write my opinion on some of the books that were given, before sharing mine:
I've read the "Hunger Games" last week once I saw a movie was going to come out about it. It's good, very good even... but still I can't help but think of it as a bad copy of the "Battle Royal" manga. The "Hunger Games" to me, was nothing more than a quick read to pass the 4 hour shift...

"Harry Potter", read it all (is there anyone who didn't?) but only liked the first five. After the fifth it just felt to me like she was doing it more for the money than anything else. Hermione(hope I spelled that correctly) took over as main character in the 6th and 7th book, while all Harry did was run around casting the same spells he learned in book 3 and 4, whining like a little girl. Fu*k Harry, the Wisley twins rule, Dumbledore is awesome and the whole series should never have been stretched so much.

Can't wait for the next book of Eragon to come out. Love the series, hate the author. Not he's fault though... he's too young and has no sense of time and this is the only problem I had with the books. Except for that the story is great.

LOTR, never manged to get pass the part where the tree next to the river swallows him... or something like that. Tried to read it in three languages, got stuck in the same place all three times.

In the genre of Greek mythology, Olimpic games – Leslie What, Deus ex machine: A divine comedy – Maria aragon are funny and informational.

I've been reading a lot lately, and as I am a fast reader and always read 2 or 3 books at the same time I'll try to keep it short.
Currently reading:
Warning! Not for people with weak stomachs and hearts!
Spoiler:
Also reading the last book in the Twany man trilogy, "Fools Fate" by Robin Hobb. One of my favorite authors in the fantasy genre.

Started reading The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. It starts out interesting and I hope it stays the same way.

On the topic of favorite books:
The 8 book of the "Ender's Game" series by Orson Scott Card. Simply amazing! A masterpiece!

"Kuyavia" by Yuri Aleksandrovich Nikitin. I've never read the first two books and I will probably never will. This book is a must read for every fantasy lover who knows Russian. I've read it 12 times myself and had it read to me as a bed time story by my father and grandfather more than once. I read it once a year and always cry at the end.

"Darwin's Radio" and "Darwin's Children" by Greg Bear.

And to all LOTR fan's out there, the man who inspired Tolkin and many others, a genius and a legend, Clifford D. Simak. If you get the chance, read his works.

Sorry for the long post, but I a bit of a book worm and when it comes to books it's hard not to ramble.

Last edited by Vielfras on Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Vielfras
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet
Name:
Class:
Race:

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Lol, No offense but I tried reading LOTR, but its very description heavy. Usually I like that kind of thing. But it's difficult to read. You really need to have dedication. Besides LOTR there is WOT aka Wheel of Time.
The Wheel of Time (abbreviated by fans to WoT) is a series of epic fantasy novels written by American author James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under the pen name Robert Jordan.
A guy who was said to have taken Tolkien's reins. I personally only read the first four or five of his books.

Spoiler:
evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Nex Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:22 pm

@ oishii
wow you mean as in the Luison, Ao Ao, Mboi Tu'i (they used them to scare us, most of times it was the Luison that would come for us XP)

back on topic, I've read the Wheel of Time series, it's quite long but I really like it, Eragon,Brisingr... (I like them but I just can't let slip that in an assault they use ballistae) then the Witcher series by Andrej Sapkowski, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, heroes of olympus, Dante's Inferno (still haven't started the Purgatorio) the Odyssey, part of the Aeneid, der Junge im gestreiften Pyjama, House of Night, Nightwatch, Daywatch, tried reading a Song of Ice and Fire, Vadimir Tod's series, the Decameron, der wiedergefundene Freund, the Circle of Magic and many others... (I'm certain I've read like 60 books in the last 3 years)

Nex

Back to top Go down

Post  evertosword Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:44 pm

The Circle of Magic is one of my favorite series Very Happy

I was reminded of the Ranger's Apprentice today by all the archer talk. Shi shishi
evertosword
evertosword
Trainee
Trainee

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Nex Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:38 pm

I like it too Smile...
I just kind of can't go on... got caught up in other stuff and never got to finish the books, I'm still stuck at the tree made of copper and/or some other metals... I just need some free time to start over again and maybe I'll even get to the next 4 books...

I actually thought of Demon's Souls... dunno why though XP

Nex

Back to top Go down

Books - What do you read? Empty American Gods

Post  Calan Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:30 am

Well it looks like everyone's repeating the mainstream.

If you haven't - FIRELIGHT by Sophie Jordan.

My favorite book is American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

2nd is Storm Thief by Chris Wooding.

Also a nice little book called Once Upon A Marigold (Jean Ferris), and of course Heir Apparent (Vivian Vande Velde).

Like 1/2 Prince, Heir Apparent is about a Virtual Reality game. However, the technology isn't good enough yet to make VR MMOs.
Calan
Calan
Reader
Reader

Character sheet
Name: Calan Highwind [mostly called "Wanderer"]
Class: Varies
Race: Demon [like Gui], Elf, or Human

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down