Odd Squad Scanlations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

translation of eclipse hunter volume 4 first few chapters?

4 posters

Go down

translation of eclipse hunter volume 4 first few chapters? Empty translation of eclipse hunter volume 4 first few chapters?

Post  Irid Tue May 21, 2013 11:43 pm

so i've translated the first few chapters of eclipse hunter volume 4. im wondering if anyone is against me posting them or if it's against the rules or something? that said, don't expect too much because my chinese isn't that good, and i have my reasons for not applying to join odd squad. i'd be fine with deleting my translations after odd squad finishes their own translations, if necessary.

it's not my intention to discredit odd squad or anything like that. i appreciate all the effort you've put into translating eclipse hunter, and i know you must all be busy with real life and that none of you are obligated to translate for us readers. however, i do sympathize with readers who have been waiting for updates (i was one myself until i decided to look for the chinese version)... and that's why i thought it'd be a good idea to post my own translations, which won't be very high quality but could be regarded as a preview, maybe.

Irid
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

translation of eclipse hunter volume 4 first few chapters? Empty Re: translation of eclipse hunter volume 4 first few chapters?

Post  Doonge Mon May 27, 2013 10:57 am

Oh you posted here aswell.

I don't have the impression the people working on EH are angry at all, which would be surprising anyway considering how nice they are (I bugged them a little bit in the past).

Aside the fact you don't want to apply at Oddsquad, what are your plans for the next chapters? Was it only one chapter contribution, or do you plan to keep on translating EH?
I'm sure this question will be asked by the staff, so I'm asking it earlier ^^
Doonge
Doonge
Artisan
Artisan

Back to top Go down

translation of eclipse hunter volume 4 first few chapters? Empty Re: translation of eclipse hunter volume 4 first few chapters?

Post  Irid Mon May 27, 2013 6:41 pm

I don't know, no offense but Noobzilla seems... just a little bit intimidating ^^
I've translated up to chapter 3, but... I think I need to edit some parts first... and there are some parts that I can't figure out. I don't know if I'll continue translating. Part of the reason why I didn't want to join Odd Squad was because I didn't know if I could handle the... commitment, I guess. It depends on how busy and how motivated I am...

Irid
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

Post  Doonge Tue May 28, 2013 8:02 am

Noobzilla is both intimidating and efficient ^^

The commitment thing is something like a deterrent to avoid people who will slow us more than help us. It takes time and energy to build trust towards a new contributor. If the contributor doesn't contribute enough for our investment to be worthwile, we lost time. It mostly concerns people who want to join on a whim, do not realize the time it takes to translate, clean, typeset, whatever, do not realize their own current abilities, and leave without a word (out of shame I suppose) after doing nothing at all in the end.

We don't like when people take our time for nothing, and we don't like either when people lose some of their pride. Hence the "scary" attitude we might put up: we hope it scares away people who might lose their time with us, and lose our time aswell. Nothing good come out of it.

In your case, you already translated whole chapters...
I'm not sure, but I suspect it's already more than enough... (I deal with cleaning and typesetting of webtoons, and I'm already okay with 1 or 2 chapters).
"Joining" the team is just having tools to communicate with other people.

I'll see if it's possible to change the wording, to make it less scary, but I'm not sure, understand the big problem is honesty: people want to look good and brag, when all we want to know is what they can really do so we can say yes or no.
Doonge
Doonge
Artisan
Artisan

Back to top Go down

Post  Irid Tue May 28, 2013 4:42 pm

then we both agree on that ^^
well... im really slow actually, and since there are words i don't know, i have to look them up online. a lot of the time what i find online doesn't match up exactly, so i have trouble fitting it into the english, and that's another reason why i don't think it'd be good to join -- my chinese might not be good enough.
im not sure if i can handle having a deadline too, and sometimes im just not very motivated, which you probably don't want anyways.

Irid
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

Post  Doonge Tue May 28, 2013 5:37 pm

People choose their own deadlines.

But do as you please ^^

I have no further news for the moment anyway, it's busy time ^^
Doonge
Doonge
Artisan
Artisan

Back to top Go down

Post  noobzilla Thu May 30, 2013 6:29 am

Hello,
While we won't discourage translating EH on your own, We would prefer that you not post your translation here. If you wish to speed up EH releases you can join us. We don't expect you to be a machine and churn out chapters. But if you suddenly have free time and decide to translate chapters that our team is already working on its a bit of a waste, since you could have used that time to do a chapter no one had worked on before.

If you don't wish to join us you can also choose to temporarily collaborate with our translators and you will be credited for it.
noobzilla
noobzilla
Admin

Character sheet
Name: Jung
Class: Very High.
Race: Human

https://oddsquad.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wryn Thu May 30, 2013 6:46 am

Hi Irid,

Was having a look through your chapter. You've done some good work there, although i did spot a few mistakes. Don't ask me what they are cause i no longer remember them.

Would you mind if we use your translated chapters for our releases? We will check them for translation inaccuracies and then the proofers will double check for grammar and sentence structure, which i understand you were having a little trouble with.

Of course if you agree, you will be credited for your work. Or better yet, you could join the team. I like the fact that you bother to check the dictionary for words you were having difficulty with.

No pressure. Let us know.

wryn

Back to top Go down

Post  Irid Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm fine with you using what I did. I'd only gotten up to the second chapter anyways ^^

Irid
Reader
Reader

Back to top Go down

Post  noobzilla Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:14 am

Please PM me and wryn your translation, we will make use of it.
noobzilla
noobzilla
Admin

Character sheet
Name: Jung
Class: Very High.
Race: Human

https://oddsquad.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down